U.S. Route 40 is one of the first east-west United States highways from Atlantic City New Jersey to Park City Utah.
U.S. Route 40 is an east-west United States highway. As with most routes whose numbers end in a zero, U.S. 40 once traversed the entire United States. It is one of the original 1920s U.S. Highways, and its first termini were San Francisco, California, and Atlantic City, New Jersey. The western end has been truncated several times, and the route now ends at Interstate 80 just outside of Park City, Utah, near Salt Lake City.
Starting at its western terminus in Utah, U.S. 40 crosses a total of twelve states, including Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey. Two former and four current state capitals lie along the route. For much of its route, U.S. 40 runs parallel to or concurrently with several major Interstate Highways: Interstate 70 from Colorado, to Washington, Pennsylvania; and again from Hancock, Maryland to Baltimore, Maryland; Interstate 64 in parts of Missouri and Illinois; Interstate 68 along the Maryland Panhandle and in West Virginia; and Interstate 95 from Baltimore to New Castle, Delaware.
The route was built on top of several older highways, most notably the National Road and Victory Highway. The National Road was created in 1806 by an act of Congress to serve as the first Federally funded highway construction project. When completed it connected Cumberland, Maryland, with Vandalia, Illinois. The Victory Highway was designated as a memorial to World War I veterans and went from Kansas City, Missouri to San Francisco, California. Other important roads that have become part of U.S. 40 include Zane's Trace in Ohio, Braddock Road in Maryland and Pennsylvania, part of the Oregon Trail in Kansas, and the Lincoln Highway (the first road across America) in California. Along the highway there are hundreds of budget hotels and motels at just about every exit and in every main city. During the Summer travel months these hotels fill up quickly so try to book in advance.
US 40 enters New Jersey in Deepwater, New Jersey along with I-295. US 40 briefly joins the New Jersey Turnpike, and exits to the south of the toll booths. The route follows Wiley Road, parallel to the Turnpike, before joining Harding Highway in Carneys Point. US 40 will be Harding Highway through most of South Jersey. Northeast of where US 40 joins it, Harding Highway carries the NJ 48 designation; though this was once part of US 40 as well.
Hampton Inn Atlantic City-Bayside
- Hampton Inn-Atlantic City Bayside is located off Rt. 40/322 East in west Atlantic City, situated on beautiful Lakes Bay.
Econo Lodge Buena
- The Econo Lodge ® hotel is just 10 miles from the Cohanzick Zoo. This Buena hotel is minutes from Rowan University, the Atlantic City Racetrack, the East Point Lighthouse and the Maurice River. Popular Atlantic City casinos are about 30 miles away.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carneys Point
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carneys Point is conveniently located at the New Jersey Turnpike just off of US Route 40.
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Carneys Point
- Nestled in a suburban setting, the Econo Lodge Inn & Suites ® hotel is conveniently located off Interstate 295 and the New Jersey Turnpike, less than two miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Fort Mott State Park.
US 40 crosses Delaware for about 15 miles (24 km). Entering the state from Maryland in Glasgow, it continues along the Pulaski Highway. It crosses Delaware Route 1 in the community of Bear before merging with US 13 and the Dupont Highway in State Road. The concurrent routes pass the New Castle Airport and US 40 leaves to join I-295 near Wilmington Manor. US 40, along with I-295, uses the Delaware Memorial Bridge to cross the Delaware River into New Jersey.
Quality Inn and Suites Skyways New Castle
- Offering easy access to Interstate 95, Interstate 295 and Interstate 495, the Quality Inn & Suites Skyways hotel in Wilmington is centrally located in New Castle County, adjacent to the New Castle Airport and less than one mile from Wilmington College.
Super 8 New Castle
- The Super 8 New Castle (Del.) offers affordable accommodations for business and leisure travelers, just two miles from New Castle County Airport. Vacationers are two miles from downtown and within five miles of Amstel House, Dutch House, Old Library Museum, and Read House and Gardens.
Econo Lodge Airport New Castle
- The Econo Lodge Airport is a New Castle hotel near the New Castle Airport. Perfectly located in the heart of the Brandywine Valley, just minutes from Interstate 95, the Econo Lodge ® Airport is less than two miles from the New Castle Airport.
U.S. Route 40 in Maryland runs from western Maryland to Cecil County in the state's northeastern corner. With a total length of over 200 miles, it is the longest numbered highway in Maryland. Almost half of the road overlaps with Interstate 68 or Interstate 70, while the old alignment is generally known as U.S. Route 40 Alternate, U.S. Route 40 Scenic, or Maryland Route 144.
Holiday Inn Express North East
- The Holiday Inn Express & Suites, North East, MD is located on the north end of town only 1/2 mile from Interstate 95. Positioned in the heart of the North Eastern Maryland, our award-winning hotel offers 71 over sized rooms including 22 suites.
Super 8 Havre De Grace
- The Super 8 Motel Havre De Grace Aberdeen (Md.) offers affordable accommodations for business and leisure travelers, 46 miles from Baltimore Washington International Airport. Vacationers are one mile from Chesapeake Bay.
Country Inn Baltimore
- New Hotel designed for comfort while offering state of the art technology. 32" HD Flat Screen Plasma TV, Complimentary High Speed Wired and wireless Internet, two phones with voicemail.
Courtyard Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor
- The Baltimore Courtyard by Marriott is hospitality on the harbor. Nestled in the Harbor East neighborhood, one block from the scenic waterfront and an easy stroll to the National Aquarium, Fells Point, Little Italy and Inner Harbor attractions.
US 40 enters Pennsylvania at West Alexander. It closely parallels I-70 from West Virginia until it reaches Washington where it follows Jefferson Avenue and Maiden Street. In Washington, US 40 passes to the south of Washington & Jefferson College. US 40 bypasses Uniontown along a limited access highway that also carries US 119. An old alignment through Uniontown is signed as "Business US 40." Southeast of Uniontown, travellers pass the Fort Necessity National Battlefield.
Fairfield Inn Uniontown
- Located at the base of the Laurel Mountain range, in the heart of the Laurel Highlands, this Fairfield Inn by Marriott offers all the business and leisure traveler are seeking.
Motel 6 Washington
- The Washington Motel 6 is conveniently located just 28 miles from the Pittsburgh International Airport and Kennywood amusement park.
Holiday Inn Express Wheeling-East
- The Holiday Inn Express Wheeling, WV is conveniently located on I-70 at exit 11, Dallas Pike, in Wheeling, WV, just 1/2 mile from Cabela's and Wheeling's many attractions.
US 40 enters Ohio just to the south of New Paris. Through most of Ohio, US 40 is known as National Road. The road parallels I-70 eastward towards Dayton. In Vandalia, the road passes to the south of Dayton International Airport and crosses I-75 and the Great Miami River. The road never actually enters Dayton, instead skirting the northern suburbs on the way towards Springfield.
Best Western B. R. Guest
- Choose this pet-friendly Zanesville, Ohio hotel where guests will find superior customer service and convenient access to the Zanesville Municipal Airport.
Best Western Lakewood Inn
- Guests at this Best Western Lakewood Inn are staying near Hebron, Newark and Moscow Ohio, that is. Located near Columbus, the AmeriHost is located near U.S. 40 and Highway 79.
Holiday Inn Express Columbus-West Broad Street
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Columbus-West Broad Street. We are a modern hotel conveniently located just off the Columbus Outerbelt at I-270 and W. Broad St., 1 mile from I-70 and 7 miles from I-71. This gives easy access to virtually all areas of Columbus.
Forty Motel Columbus
- Forty Motel is an old motel along Route 40 and the National Road.
Courtyard Marriott Springfield Downtown
- Located adjacent to the Heritage Center of Clark County and the Clark State Performing Arts Center (Kuss Auditorium), the Courtyard Springfield Ohio hotel offers beautiful displays of Art, comforting fountains and a park-like setting.
US 40 enters Indiana from the west at unincorporated Liggett along with I-70. US 40 leaves the interstate at exit 1 and parallels an old alignment named "Old US Hwy 40". US 40's last stop in Indiana is the city of Richmond. In Richmond, it passes a statue known as "Madonna of the Trail", one of a series of twelve statues across the U.S. to memorialize women pioneers who made the trek to settle the western U.S.
Fairfield Inn Richmond
- Located near several major corporate and industrial offices, Reid Memorial Hospital, Miami University and Earlham College, the Fairfield Inn Richmond is an ideal destination for budget conscious business travelers or families in New Paris, Ohio.
Best Western Crossroads Indianapolis
- Enjoy convenient access to the Indianapolis Speedway, the Indianapolis Zoo and the Children's Museum while staying at this Indianapolis, Indiana hotel.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Indianapolis City Centre
- Discover the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites City Centre, located in beautiful downtown Indianapolis.The 108-room hotel features spacious studio suites, whirlpool rooms, and standard guestrooms. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites City Centre offers a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
Candlewood Suites Terre Haute
- The Candlewood Suites, is conveniently located in west Indiana near major highways such as I-70, US Highways 40, 41 and 150. The hotel is situated six miles from Terre Haute International Airport (HUF).
In the state of Illinois, US 40 follows I-70 east from the Poplar Street Bridge and parallels it through most of the state. It is either directly concurrent with, or closely parallels, I-70 through the entire state. Between Pocahontas and Mulberry Grove US 40 passes through several small towns. In Vandalia, Illinois, the former state capitol, it follows Veterans Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard (with US 51) through town.
Comfort Inn Casey
- The Comfort Inn is conveniently located in a wooded setting off Interstate 70 between St. Louis and Indianapolis and is a perfect stop if traveling to Branson.
Fairfield Inn & Suites Effingham
- Conveniently located at exit 160 off I-57 & I-70 (and US Route 40) only 30 minutes from Eastern Illinois University.
Econo Lodge and Suites Greenville
- The Econo Lodge® & Suites offers guests the best of both worlds. It's located in a beautiful, small-town setting, yet just 45 miles from the hustle and bustle of downtown Saint Louis.
Doubletree Collinsville/St. Louis
- The Doubletree Collinsville / St. Louis hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Collinsville, Illinois, just seconds from major highways and minutes from downtown St. Louis attractions.
US 40 enters Missouri following Interstate 70 across much of the state, and parallels it for the rest of its route in the state. Entering in Kansas City, it leaves in St. Louis on the Poplar Street Bridge across the Mississippi River.
Residence Inn St. Louis Downtown
- The Residence Inn St. Louis Downtown, is located one mile from Saint Louis University and the World Aquarium at City Museum in St. Louis, Mo. The St. Louis Union Station and Campbell House Museum are less than one mile from this budget hotel.
- The SpringHill Suites St. Louis Brentwood is the perfect Marriott hotel near Clayton MO for the business and leisure traveler. Spacious and smoke-free, this St Louis Zoo hotel is sure to fit your modern lifestyle.
Wingate by Wyndham Weldon Springs
- Wingate by Wyndham Weldon Springs is situated in the heart of St. Charles County in Missouri Research Park, just minutes from the Katy Trail and nearby Wineries.
Courtyard Marriott Columbia
- The Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Missouri budget hotel is located center state, convenient to; Kansas City, St. Louis, Lake of the Ozarks, & Jefferson City.
US-40 enters Kansas near the unincorporated community of Weskan. The first sizable town it enters is Sharon Springs, where it intersects K-27. From there it goes northeast to Oakley and follows Eagle Eye Road before a merge with I-70 east of town.
Holiday Inn Express Kansas City-Bonner Springs
- The award winning Holiday Inn Express Kansas City-Bonner Springs is located on the west side of Kansas City, at the intersection of I-70 and K7 Highway, just west of the Kansas Speedway, Cabela's, and Nebraska Furniture Mart.
Best Western Lawrence
- The Best Western Lawrence is a hotel centrally located in Lawrence, Kansas. Guests staying at the hotel will be minutes from local attractions such as Kansas University's Memorial Stadium, Liberty Hall, the Kansas Speedway and Worlds of Fun Amusement Park.
Courtyard Marriott Topeka
- The Topeka Courtyard by Marriott, a budget hotel is located in the entertainment and business corridor of the State Capital just off U.S. Route 40.
Candlewood Suites Junction City/Ft. Riley
- The Candlewood Suites in Junction City off Route 40 in Ft. Riley, KS offers affordable travel lodging at discount prices.
Entering Colorado to the south of Dinosaur National Monument, U.S. 40 runs east through the small town of Dinosaur along Brontosaurus Boulevard. The route continues a generally easterly course though Moffat and Routt counties, passing through several small communities along the way. It generally follows the course of the Yampa River. U.S. 40 becomes Lincoln Avenue as it runs through historic downtown Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Econo Lodge Limon
- The Econo Lodge® hotel is conveniently located at the intersection of Interstate 70 and U.S. Highway 24. This Limon hotel is in close proximity to many nearby attractions and points of interest.
Hampton Inn Denver-West/Golden
- Hampton Inn Denver West/Golden is located 35 miles from Denver International Airport and just three miles from the Jefferson County Airport. Located on Colfax Avenue (Highway 40) west of 6th Avenue, in the foothills of the Rockies.
Best Western Alpenglo Lodge
- Alpenglo Lodge is an ideal location to base your winter or summertime activities, and being situated near three national parks, including Rocky Mountain National Park.
Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs
- Right in the heart of the Rocky Mountains and on U.S. Highway 40, this budget hotel's accommodations in Steamboat provides a top location for business and leisure travelers alike.
The western terminus of U.S. 40 is in Utah at Interstate 80, several miles north of Park City, at Silver Creek Junction. The road is a limited access highway from the I-80 junction to its intersection with Utah State Route 32 south of Park City, about 13 miles . From there, the road takes a generally southerly course to Heber City before turning southeast and passing by the northern shores of Strawberry Reservoir. U.S. 40 goes through the towns of Duchesne, Roosevelt and Vernal before entering Colorado.
Holiday Inn Express Vernal-Dinosaurland
- Conveniently located in an area rich with natural history, our Vernal, UT hotel provides guests with the perfect location for exploring local attractions like the beautiful Uintah Mountains, the High Uintas Wilderness and Dinosaur National Monument.
Best Western Inn Roosevelt
- Conveniently located near the junction of Highway 40 and Highway 121/191 in Roosevelt, you'll find our accommodations a pleasant surprise. If you are just traveling through or your destination is in the Uintah basin area, stop by and let the Best Western Inn be your "home away from home".
Holiday Inn Express Heber City
- The Holiday Inn Express " Heber City" is a first class hotel located 50 miles from Salt Lake International. An outstanding and inviting property, this hotel is the best place to call home while traveling on business or pleasure.
Homewood Suites Salt Lake City-Downtown
- The Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City-Downtown hotel is located in the trendy Gateway area of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Find more budget hotels on a road trip
Interstate 80 - New York City to San Francisco
Interstate 90 - Boston to Seattle
U.S. Route 40 - Atlantic City to Park City
Historic Route 66 - Chicago to Los Angeles